Who knows your name?
Exodus 33:17- And the Lord said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name.
Joshua 6:27-So the Lord was with Joshua; and his fame was noised throughout all the country.
1st Samuel 18:30-Then the princes of the Philistines went forth: and it came to pass, after they went forth, that David behaved himself more wisely than all the servants of Saul; so that his name was much set by.
6 Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper, 7 there came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat. 8 But when his disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying, To what purpose is this waste? 9 For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor.
10 When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me. 11 For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always. 12 For in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial. 13 Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached in the whole world, there shall also this, that this woman hath done, be told for a memorial of her.
Acts 19:13-16, 20
13 Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth. 14 And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so. 15 And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye? 16 And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded. 20: So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed.
Proverbs 22:1-A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.
Genesis 17:15-And God said unto Abraham, As for Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall her name be. 16 And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her.
Genesis 32:27-28-7 And he said unto him, What is thy name?
And he said, Jacob.
28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.
- We have names that identify or separate us from another. Our Godly name dictates where we stand in the Kingdom of God and how the enemy and the forces of darkness view us.
Who Knows your name?
Does the kingdom of darkness know you?
This message has two parts, first to the church, then to individuals
Does the community know who you are? – are you famous yet, what are you known for? What do you want to be known for?
- There is a difference between kingdom work and church work. I am talking about kingdom building
- Where are you on the spiritual credibility meter with God and with the community?
Message to the Church- The Organization- Your local church
How can our light shine so that the community knows your name?
- A house divided cannot stand– United in everything
On Sunday-everybody is on time for prayer, on Sunday, everybody gives their very best in worship- day of Pentecost- one accord in one place-Acts 2:1
- Love God first and Love one another– Matthew 22:37-40-accept people as they are- 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
- Excellence-as a church, we must judge ourselves, 1st Peter 4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? 18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? righteous scarcely be saved, ourselves- judgment begins at the House of God-excellent everywhere- Sunday school- teachers/students study the lesson, Sunday school leaders continue to recruit students, plan events well in advance, music department- musicians and singers, come to rehearsal prepared, sing to Gods glory, ushers-greet everyone with a smile, youth department- plan activities,recruit youth- there are no benchwarmers in the house of the GOD that ARE famous. THIS IS GOD’S HOUSE, THIS IS GOD’S MINISTRY, THESE ARE GOD’S GIFT’S, ask God to stir up a spirit of excellence
- Handle God’s business correctly, don’t mishandle his gifts, his anointing, his presence, be sober, watch and pray
- Don’t provoke God to anger like the children of Israel but move God with your prayers and seeking his face, seek him first-.
37 For their heart was not right with him, neither were they stedfast in his covenant.
38 But he, being full of compassion, forgave their iniquity, and destroyed them not: yea, many a time turned he his anger away, and did not stir up all his wrath.
39 For he remembered that they were but flesh; a wind that passeth away, and cometh not again.
40 How oft did they provoke him in the wilderness, and grieve him in the desert! 56 Yet they tempted and provoked the most high God, and kept not his testimonies:
57 But turned back, and dealt unfaithfully like their fathers: they were turned aside like a deceitful bow.
58 For they provoked him to anger with their high places, and moved him to jealousy with their graven images.
- If your light is shining, the community will know your name, the word of God will spread, increase in the things and knowledge of God
Message to Individuals
- Will your good works serve as a lasting memorial like Mary when she anointed Jesus? Difference between kingdom and church work- We need people do the things to keep the church operating, but what matters most to God is only what you do for Christ will last. What will you leave behind when your earthly walk is done? Are you known as a busy body OR trouble maker? Or are you known as someone who is reliable who exhibits the fruit of the spirit.
Can God use your name now or do you need a name change?
- Jacob to Israel
- Sarai to Sarah
Some of us need a name change
- Is your name in the book -Revelation 20:11-15- 11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. 13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. Ecclesiastes 12:14- 14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil. Seven Sons of Sceva- some of you, God doesn’t know you
- We need to get out of the way of God–
- a. he wants to change our name from mediocre to good and from good to great, great to greater, but we get in the way-
- b. how-we don’t spend enough time with him to recognize him as Moses did, we dont follow his instructions as Joshua did, we aren’t warriors like David was, we don’t worship him like Mary did
- For those called to ministry or who are leaders in Gods house– too whom much is given, much is required-God is holding us accountable for how we lead, how we and use cultivate the gifts he has given us- accountability
Luke 12:- 48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.
Mark 13:34-37- Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is. 34 For the Son of man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch. 35 Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning: 36 lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping. 37 And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.
- Moses- He knew Moses by name- Why….Moses has demonstrated over time, his love for God to a point where he saw his Glory
- Joshua-his fame was noised abroad- why- Joshua was obedient , he did and led the people to victory because they did exactly as God said
- David’s name was known- because he was wise and he was a warrior
- God needs to know you by your name like Moses so that he can count on you
- God needs to know your name to be noised abroad like Joshua so that you can do great exploits for him
- God needs your name to be like David so that you can stand up to the enemies of God
- Good needs you to have a good name and character every where you go, so that you set the standard, you change the environment
- Most of all the Kingdom of Darkness needs to know who you are
Three categories: Are you a Concern, Interest, Threat..to the Kingdom of Darkness?
Concern- he bothers you a little bit, but knows you are not all that you can be
Interest-Satan steps up the attack a little more
Threat- He will attack you in every area of your life because he knows you realize your destiny in God and that you are determined SO DON’T WORRY when the enemy comes in like a flood…. – Isaiah 59:19
If you need a name change- let him do it today
- Church, we need to become famous for God
- Saints we need to become famous for God
- Everywhere you go, where you walk, your light should impact the environment, people should know your name before you arrive
© DR. Fay Maureen Butler